Spicy Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Avocado Cilantro Crema
Well if that isn’t the longest recipe title… ever!
Before getting into this spicy fish taco recipe I should tell you that just because the title sounds long and fancy it does not mean that it’s not a great weeknight meal, because it is! It’s also great for dinner parties (of the informal kind), because crema just sounds swanky doesn’t it?
Now, normally I don’t keep fish in our fridge or freezer because the chances I’ll actually want to eat it are slim to none, but when Ben does the grocery shopping it’s a different story! On this particular shopping trip Ben saw the bags of frozen fish were on sale for $5 so what did he do? He bought five bags!
You can imagine the look on my face when he walked in the door and put the bags of fish on the counter. What the heck was I supposed to do with all this fish?
Alright, clearly you know where those fish ended up! I figured that if I was going to suffer through five bags of frozen fish I better come up with the best way possible to do so, and that’s in these Spicy Fish Tacos!
The easiest way to whip this up is to defrost your fish and season them, set them aside and make the salsa and crema, before cooking the fish. This gives you time to let your mango salsa and avocado cilantro crema come together in the fridge before serving.
We serve our Spicy Fish Tacos up as a make your own taco bar with the mango salsa, avocado cilantro crema, lime wedges, chopped cilantro and Coronas.
** Coronas for drinking not for pouring on your tacos – ’cause that’s just weird.
- 3 large basa fish fillets
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. chili flakes
- ¼ tsp. salt and pepper
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 mango, cubed
- ½ tomato, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- handful chopped cilantro
- handful chopped green onion
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- large handful of cilantro
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp.)
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Mix together paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chili powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle spice mixture over both sides of fish fillets and rub in. Set aside or twenty minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together mango, tomato, red onion, cilantro, green onion, red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In the bowl of a small food processor combine, sour cream, avocado, garlic, lime, chili flakes, and cilantro until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the fish for 3 - 5 minutes on each side, or until opaque.
- Cut the fish into pieces and serve with tortilla, mango salsa, avocado crema, and extra cilantro.