I consider myself a connoisseur of grilled cheese sandwiches; I have no shame in ordering a grilled cheese sandwich anywhere, but this was the first time I ever attempted to make something more than slapping bread, butter, and cheese in a frying pan. Adding something as simple as Almond Basil Pesto in this meal I took a simple sandwich to THE BEST Grilled Cheese and Pesto Sandwich I have ever had!
It has been raining non-stop in New South Wales for the past four days! I want to start singing that song “rain rain go away…” I can’t do anything with this rain, not even the laundry! (We don’t have a dryer so
we I hang all of our clothes on the line to dry). Tons of rain and no food in the house make for one miserable (and hungry) week. I headed to our backyard herb garden and grabbed a bunch of basil to make Almond Basil Pesto.
After putting together the pesto it was time to make the grilled cheese and pesto sandwich. The ingredients list is pretty simple: bread, butter, cheese, and that delicious pesto.
We grate our cheese around here… cuts cots. And when it comes to grilled cheese, grated is better. Trust me.
Take two pieces of bread and butter one side of each. On the opposite side spread a quarter of your cup of almond pesto. Place one slice of bread butter side down in a hot pan on the stove. I know this picture isn’t very attractive but I used about a quarter of the pesto in my bowl for this.
Add a heaping handful of grated cheese over top of the pesto. Then place the other piece of bread, pesto side down on top of the cheese mound. Once the bottom piece of bread has started to brown, and the cheese starts to melt, flip the sandwich over and grill the other side.
Once both sides are toasted remove from heat and cut into halves. This is one ooey gooey cheesey recipe you are sure to enjoy!
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup of cheese (I used just a bit less)
- 4 slices of white bread, or bread of your choice
- spreadable butter
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Lay out almonds in a single layer on baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes, or until the an almond aroma fills the air.
- Place almonds, basil, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until almonds have been grinded down and ingredients look wet.
- In a slow even stream, with food processor on, carefully pour olive oil into the mixture.
- Once olive oil is combined, pour pesto into small bowl and add pepper and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. On non-buttered side spread 1/4 of pesto mixture evenly across each slice of bread. Place one piece of bread, butter-side down, in a skillet on med-high heat.
- Add half of the grated cheese on top of pesto evenly.
- Place a slice of bread on top of cheese, pesto-side down.
- Grill in skillet until the cheese starts to melt. Once melted, flip the sandwich over and begin to grill the second side.
- Once both sides of bread are a nice golden brown color, remove from heat.
- Repeat for second sandwich.