It’s the start of 2014 which means it’s time for Goals and Predictions for the year.
Every December my family puts together a list of goals and predictions for the following year. We write them down, seal them in an envelope, and pack them away with the Christmas decorations only to be opened on December 24th during family dinner. This year I am anticipating not being home at Christmas (sorry mom), so I thought I’d share my goals and predictions for the year and then reveal how that goes next December. Without further ado, here is my list:
- Pilates – Continue to attend pilates classes, or find some in Australia and attend regularly, at home videos count too! Pilates is an exercise class I fell in love with in 2013, the easiest way for me to describe it is a more intense yoga class. I’ve had one instructor in the past who has had us in plank position for 15 minutes (not continuous – thank goodness!) during a class… I said it was intense right? Pilates utilizes uses your core muscles to build flexibility and strength. It’s intense but at the end I always feel more relaxed and fit.
- Weight – Last year I set a goal weight of… well I won’t share that, but let’s just say it was 19lbs less than my heaviest weight in 2012. I surpassed that goal weight relatively soon in 2013 and accomplished a weight loss of 27lbs by May 2013. I did gain some weight back, but by the end of 2013 still had lost a total of 24lbs from my heaviest point. I am setting a goal weight for this year which means losing 11lbs. I think I can accomplish this goal by keeping up with pilates, exercising in the morning after Ben has gone to work, going for walks with him in the evening, and living in a new country with smaller portions. 11lbs is do-able.
- By now I’m sure you know I’ll be moving to Newcastle, Australia in February, but where exactly is Newcastle? Newcastle is two hours north of Sydney, it’s a small city of 300,000 people. One of those being Ben, and two others, his roommates (who are awesome – btw!) As much as I have loved visiting Newcastle, for a girl with no transportation of her own, and who loves a big city, Newcastle isn’t quite big enough for me. Lucky for me, I have a boyfriend who agrees.
The goal: Move to Melbourne.
Melbourne is a large city in the south of Australia; urban and located on the coast, it’s comparable to Boston, and has a climate to rival San Francisco. Melbourne is full of cafes, entertainment, sports, and public transportation and was ranked #2 in the list of the World’s Most Livable Cities in 2013. Seems like the perfect location for Ben and I to start our lives together.
- Posts – It’s my hope (and goal) to post once a week. I use this blog as a way to keep up with my friends and family back home and share my recipes and experiences Down Under. If I can’t post once a week about some kind of adventure, be it in the kitchen or exploring the country, then I really need to reevaluate how I am spending my time. That said, if I really am having too many adventures and can’t post, I’ll take that as a good reason not to accomplish this goal.
- Number of posts – Related to the previous post, this goal is to have at least 75 QUALITY posts this year. I don’t ever want to post a recipe just to get something up on the site, talk about something that has no significance, or write something that my readers don’t care about; if I wrote just for those reasons then I am really not doing my job as a blogger. I think in the grand scheme 75 posts seems reasonable and sounds like fun too.
- Lady Bloggers – attend events in Orlando, and find a group in Australia, or create my own. There is a great group of women bloggers in Orlando that I found out about while attending the Florida Blogging and Social Media Conference last September. At that point in time I did not have a blog and was told I could come out to events just to meet the other ladies and network. I have been putting that off as I really wanted a blog I could be proud of before connecting with a group that was doing exactly what I want to be doing. I am hoping there are a few events in Orlando that I can attend before I move. Once I move to Australia I am hoping to find a group of women blogger in Melbourne (no offense guys – a girl needs some lady friends.) If there isn’t one that already exists I have no problem starting the group on my own to connect with other bloggers in the area, and make some friends in the process.
- Baby – I have never been good at predictions for the upcoming year but this year I have one. My best friend Derina is getting married in a few weeks and will turn 27 in August. I have a feeling that sometime this year I’ll be getting an “I’m Pregnant” phone call from her.
There you have it, Andrea’s Goals and Predictions for 2014. Now is the time to make them happen!
Do you have any goals and predictions for the new year? I’d love to hear them in the comments section below.